Saturday 13 August 2011

Vanity

For the last six months I'd been on the waiting list for the removal of a blocked salivary gland in my lip. I was told it was a very minor op, would take 10 minutes, in and out.

I was told it would not affect the appearance of my lip - just be a small incision inside.

Imagine my horror when I get home and there is an inch long incision on the front of my lip. The surgeon decided to cut vertically from inner lip to out rather than horizontally without my consent.

It looks horrific and I feel violated. My husband said well there are people worse off, and while I know that, I know, I still feel so angry.

So what is making me angry? My vanity? The fact that my best facial feature is now marred - scarred and missing a chunk? The fact I can't kiss my children? The fact I feel so down I cannot play with my children? Is it shame because I let them do this? Because my parents looked at me so pityingly when they asked why they'd taken a chunk of my lip?

Probably all of the above. But not sure if making myself suffer is helping - I barely sleep last night and I don't want to leave the house.

I am sure there is a lesson here - to be more positive, to be less vain, to take myself less seriously. Whatever it is I don't feel like learning it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment